Website Equator Coffees
REPORTS TO: Café General Manager
Compensation: $15.50 – $17.25/hour
Are you an authentic, kind, and passionate coffee lover? Are you looking to join a supportive crew of friendly people? We believe in the power of human connection and kindness through the portal of coffee. As a queer, women-owned, B-corp we put environmental and social sustainability at the forefront of every decision we make. We support all stakeholders along the supply chain through impactful purchasing and employee development. If you believe what we believe, in racial and gender equality and that business can be a force for good – come join the Equator team.
Equator Coffees is an impact-driven, award-winning coffee roaster, mission-led retail operator, and thoughtful coffee farm owner headquartered in Marin County, CA. Founded in 1995 by Brooke McDonnell and Helen Russell, Equator’s strong commitment to a sustainable, transparent approach spans more than two decades. In 2011, Equator formalized its commitment to sustainability by becoming a certified B Corporation, making it the first California coffee roaster to do so. In 2016, we were voted National Small Business of the Year and one of San Francisco Business Times Top 100 Women-Owned Business for the past 12 years. Today, Equator operates eight retail cafes in the San Francisco Bay Area, one retail café in Los Angeles, sells coffee direct to customers through its website and has an expanding national wholesale business.
Equator connects global coffee farming communities and coffee lovers in the US. The journey from seed to cup is long. Every step in our supply chain should be equitable, sustainable and beneficial for all involved. We call it the Chain of Well-Being. We treasure our relationships in the global coffee community and invest in projects at origin to help our partners and their communities thrive. For instance, our World Bicycle Relief Blend funds the purchase and distribution of bicycles in countries where reliable transportation can lead to economic opportunity and educational success.
B Corp Declaration of Interdependence
We envision a global economy that uses business as a force for good. This economy consists of a new type of corporation – the B Corporation – which is purpose-driven and creates benefits for all stakeholders, not just shareholders.
As Certified B Corporations and leaders of this emerging economy, we believe:
- That we must be the change we seek in the world.
- That all business ought to be conducted as if people and place matter.
- That, through their products, practices, and profits, businesses should aspire to do no harm and benefit all.
- To do so requires that we act with the understanding that we are each dependent upon another and thus responsible for each other and future generations.
The Barista is all about hospitality! You want and aspire to provide a memorable experience to each and every person that visits our cafes. You are kind and welcoming to those you work with and serve, act with integrity and respect, work to create a safe, clean and healthy work environment, provide quality beverages and food consistently, share your knowledge and passion for our coffees.
- Have a passion for our coffee and share knowledge with customers
- Committed to providing consistent quality beverages and food
- Confidently and accurately communicate product information to customers by responding to questions, orders, and concerns
- Maintain a clean environment including the cleaning of the back of house, bar areas, café lobbies and patios to contribute to a healthy environment for customers and employees
- Properly handle and maintain all coffee and food equipment
- Contribute to store profitability by following cash handling and cash register policies and procedures
- Assist in the training and development of new employees
- Work at different stations in the café
- Follow all company policies, procedures and processes and share ideas to make it better
- Attend all individual and company scheduled training sessions and staff meetings to constantly advance education and stay up to date on coffee, tea, merchandise, espresso bar skills and seasonal menu changes
Qualifications and Requirements
- Must maintain current state issued Food Handler Card
- Retail and/or customer service experience required
- Coffee experience preferred
- Ability to make the customer a priority
- Is hospitable and inclusive with all customers and is a team player with co-workers
- Demonstrates passion and curiosity for coffee and tea
- Builds ongoing connections with customer
- Able to multi-task and deal with ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to communicate effectively with others
- Respectful and professional
- Cash handling skills
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
- The hours can be part time/full time based on availability and can increase and decrease due to the needs of the business.
- Competitive Hourly Wage
- 100% Employer Covered Premium Medical Insurance
(for full-time employees working over 30 hours per week after 60 days of employment)
- Group Dental & Vision Insurance Plans Available
- Employer Covered Life Insurance Premium
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) – Healthcare, Commuter and Dependent Day Care
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) – Physical and Mental Health, Financial and Legal Coaching available at no cost to the employee
- Paid Time Off
- 7 paid holidays per year (including MLK Day)
- 1 paid volunteer day per year
- Paid time for voting on election day and for reflection on Juneteenth
- 401K – Employee eligible after 1 year of employment
- Free coffee
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or apply in our online system.
This position description intends to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to include all duties and responsibilities. Job responsibilities can change according to the operational needs of the business. The order in which duties and responsibilities are listed is not significant.
Equator Coffees is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, and discharge will be based on competence, performance and the business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.
To apply for this job please visit www.workstream.us.